Leaders in Law endorses Joaquín Sales as our exclusively recommended Project Finance Law expert in Spain. If you wish to get in touch with Joaquín please use the contact information provided above.
Joaquín Sales is partner and head of the Banking & Finance team of King & Wood Mallesons in Spain. He advises banks, financial institutions and funds, as well as corporations, on all kinds of financing transactions: project finance, acquisition finance, corporate and asset finance – as well as on structured finance transactions and securitisation deals, both domestic and international.
He also provides guidance to commercial banks, multilateral banks, funds and corporations in the energy, infrastructure and capital market sectors.
Some of his clients are BBVA, Santander, European Investment Bank, ICO, CaixaBank, Hispasat, VM Energía, Galp, Asterion Industrial Partners, Arcano, Portobello Capital and Magnum Industrial Partners.
Joaquín is recognised as one of the best specialists in Banking & Finance and Project Finance in Spain by the main legal directories including Chambers & Partners, Best Lawyers, Legal 500 and Leaders League.
Highlighted Deals Include:
- Advice to the European Investment Bank on the financing of the construction and operation of seven wind farms with a total capacity of 139 MW in Spain (Project Lanuza). Total cost of the project: €643 million.
- Advice to the European Investment Bank on the financing of the construction and operation of nine wind farms with a total capacity of 300 MW in Spain (Project Goya).
- Advice on the financing of several water treatment plants developed by Urbaser in the Spanish region of Aragón.
- Advice to a syndicate of international banks on the financing of a portfolio of PV solar plants owned by Finerge in Spain and Portugal.
- Advice to VM Energía on the financing of the wind projects Sotillo and Tablares, which are located in Zaragoza (Spain) and have an aggregated power capacity of 47 MW.
- Advice to Santander on a complex multi-jurisdiction receivable financing transaction where new sellers of receivables acceded to the master purchase agreement in compliance with various country-specific requirements.
- Advice to Santander on the eligibility of certain insurance coverage granted by China Export & Credit Insurance Corporation, as unfunded credit protection, pursuant to Regulation (EU) 575/2013.
- Advice to Portobello Capital on a partial financing of the acquisition of USA Group.
- Advice to Asterion Industrial Partners on the financing granted by Mediobanca for the purposes of financing, amongst others, investments and expenses of the borrower (Asterion Industrial Infra Fund I, FCR), under a Spanish law governed multicurrency capital call facility agreement for an amount of €100 million.
- Advice to Abengoa on an export credit financing from a Chinese bank, backed with a policy from Sinosure.
ABOUT KING & WOOD MALLESONS
King & Wood Mallesons (“KWM” or the “Firm”) is a global law firm present in the world’s most dynamic markets. The Firm has the people, resources and relationships its clients need to execute their projects effectively and efficiently worldwide. Its philosophy is to help clients create value, innovate, manage risk, save time, and get things done.
Strategically positioned in the world’s growth markets and financial capitals, the Firm is powered by more than 3,000 lawyers across 28 international offices spanning Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East and North America.
KWM has a track-record of over 20 years in the Spanish market and the Project Finance team led by partner Joaquín Sales has a unique mix of local and international expertise.