Leaders in Law endorses Jayne Cross as our exclusively recommended Corporate Litigation expert in Botswana. If you wish to get in touch with Jayne, please use the contact information provided above.
Partner and Head of Civil & Corporate Litigation
Main Areas of Law
Jayne Cross is a partner in the Civil Litigation practice. Her area of expertise is in the field of insurance law, commercial and civil litigation and liquidations. Jayne has extensive experience in domestic and cross border litigation.
Jayne is a trainer in the Trial Advocacy Course administered by the Law Society of Botswana, in conjunction with US and East African lawyers which provides legal advocacy training skills.
Examples of Jayne’s work include:
- Acting on behalf of most of the international insurance companies in Botswana as well as the Government Insurance Scheme
- Instituting and defending third party insurance claims
- Litigation relating to insurance contracts
- Defending public liability claims
- Litigation on disputed pension matters
- RepossessionsPersonal damages claims
- Medical negligence claims
- Property disputes
- Advising and representing local and international companies in contractual breach claims
- Advising on interpretation of contracts
- Advising on international conventions
- Litigation relating to restraint of trade and confidentiality agreements
- Liquidations and creditors meetings
- Advice and litigation relating to banking laws and audit regulations
Her non-contentious practice is mainly in the area of insurance, advising clients on insurance claims and disputes, advising Regent Insurance Botswana (Pty) Ltd now Hollard Insurance Company of Botswana (Pty) Ltd (Hollard), Zurich Insurance Company Botswana Limited now B.I.C.B Limited t/a Bryte Risk Services Botswana (Bryte) on cross border disputes, commercial advice and policy interpretations.
- 2008 Qualified, Mhaka Attorneys
- 2009 Attorney, Minchin & Kelly (Botswana)
- 2010 Associate; 2016 Partner
- LLB (cum laude), University of South Africa, 2008
- Diploma in Trial Advocacy, Law Society of Botswana and National Institute for Trial Advocacy, 2010
- Law Society of Botswana
The firm was established in 1890 by Spencer Augustus Minchin in Mafikeng, South Africa, the then capital of the Bechuanaland Protectorate. Reginald Kelly joined the firm in 1919 resulting in the firm adopting the name “Minchin & Kelly”. After Bechuanaland Protectorate attained independence in 1966 to become the Republic of Botswana, Minchin & Kelly opened up an office in the new capital, Gaborone. Since its establishment the firm has been a key player in the legal landscape of Botswana with notable historic achievements such as registering the first title deed, advising the Colonial Government, participation in the law revision commission and registering the first private township in Botswana.
DLA Piper Africa
Minchin & Kelly (Botswana) is a member of DLA Piper Africa. DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific, positioning the firm to help clients with their legal needs around the world. DLA Piper Africa was founded to further formalise and reflect the unique relationship which DLA Piper has developed over years of working with carefully selected local law firms. The firms that are members of DLA Piper Africa are all leading independent law firms in their jurisdictions. The firms are highly rated and respected by peers and clients.