Firm Name: Arguelles & Company
Practice Area: Trusts & Estates Law
Fax: +501 223 6403
P.O. Box 1846
Leaders in Law endorses Emil Arguelles as our exclusively recommended Trusts & Estates Law expert in Belize. If you wish to get in touch with Emil, please use the contact information provided above.
With over 19 years of legal experience, Emil Arguelles is a veteran of hundreds of millions of United States dollars of real estate acquisitions, dispositions, financings and other transactions, has structured and completed numerous transactions in virtually all areas of law and related disciplines, and is particularly known for representing Fortune 500 companies operating or having interests in Belize. Some of these are listed under our Client List. He has also qualified as an International Arbitrator and is recognized by the Belize Supreme Court on its Roster of Arbitrators specializing in Commercial Arbitration.
As Speaker of Parliament, Emil Arguelles presided over the Belize National Assembly when some major events in Belize’s history occurred:
- The replacement of the UK’s Privy Council with the Caribbean Court of Justice as its final Appellate Court; Act #5/2010
- Recall of Representatives Act which came into historic use for the first time in 2013
- Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI, U.S.A.
- University of the West Indies, Cave Hill, Barbados
- Norman Manley School of Law, Kingston, Jamaica
- The Belize Bar Association
- Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK)
- New York State Bar Association (NYSBA)
- International Tax Planning Association (ITPA)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Intellectual Property Caribbean Association (IPCA)
- UK Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Interamerican Association of Intellectual Property (ASIPI)
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- European Communities Trade Mark Association (ECTA)
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- Belize International Financial Services Association (BIFSA)
- MARQUES – Association of European Trademark Owners
- Association of Real Estate Brokers of Belize (AREBB)
- Belize Tourism & Industry Association (BTIA)
- Chambers Global / Chambers Latin America
- Various directorships with fiduciary responsibility on many large and successful local companies with references upon request.
- Speaker of the House of Representatives of Belize 2008-2012
- Vice President of the Belize Bar 2013-2014
- 2012 – Founding Member and Executive of STEP Belize Chapter
- Board Director of the Belize Tourism Board
- Former Member of the Board of the Social Investment Fund
- Member of The New York State Bar Association
- Honorary Consul of Poland in Belize (2004 – 2019)
- Member, Belize Trade Licensing Board
- Member of the Qualified Retired Persons Incentives Program Committee of the Belize Tourism Board
- Executive Member, Belize Chamber of Commerce & Industry
- Member, Association of Real Estate Brokers of Belize
- Crown Counsel, Office of Director of Public Prosecutions with a success/conviction rate of 100%
- Belize Chess Champion
Arguelles & Company – Belize Lawyers that have developed high calibre and specialized staff and expertise in all aspects of structuring quality legal solutions for straightforward as well as complicated matters resulting in increased savings for the client coupled with savings in time. The firm places special professional emphasis on the importance of confidentiality between Attorney-Client relationships as well as within the structures themselves and absolutely in regard to third parties and other entities.
The firm specializes in select areas of Belize law and thus has the support staff and contacts to expedite and facilitate client transactions. As the working relationship is long term and mutual, the firm prides itself on securing a few good clients rather than to seek out bulk work requests which result in the loss of personal contact and efficiency. Please contact us for a rate quote depending on the type of work and complexity required as we are bound by certain Belize Bar fee schedule considerations depending on the matter and experience of the Belize Attorney involved.
We highly regard and are bound by the Legal Profession Act, Chapter 320 of the Laws of Belize, 2000, various local and International Codes of Conduct resulting from strict admissions and enrollment in the following:
- IBA – International Bar Association
- NYSBA – The New York State Bar Association
- STEP – Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners
- INTA – International Trademark Association
- IPCA – Intellectual Property Caribbean Association
- ASIPI – Interamerican Association of Intellectual Property
- AIPPI – International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property
- ITPA – International Tax Planning Association
- AREBB – Association of Real Estate Brokers of Belize
- BAR – The Belize Bar Association
- BIFSA – The Belize International Financial Services Association
The firm has established and maintains continued productive working relationships with all departments of government dealing with select areas of expertise including the Department of Lands and Surveys, Belize Intellectual Property Office, The Registrar General, Belize Trade and Investment Development Service, The Companies Registry, The International Business Companies (IBC) Registry and the Belize Tourism Board (BTB) together with various Governmental Ministries. The firm has previously been recognized by the Mayor and City of Belize for valuable contribution, support and legal advice to the City. Arguelles & Company has also from time to time, advised the Association of Professional Architects of Belize (APAB) and the Association of Professional Engineers of Belize (APEB). Arguelles & Company has also assisted in drafting of legislation in regard to foreign investment and has intimate knowledge of parliamentary process and committees.
International Experience – Immediate Results
Since its inception, the firm has constantly used technology and adapted to meet the specific requirements of large multinationals, differing time zones and high net worth individuals. Service has now become immediate. Color copies of documents/Certificates & Titles can now be delivered the same day of receipt via scanning and email in line with the demands of international expectations.
Our Belize Attorneys create an enduring and personal relationship which we consider vital to understanding the client’s long term needs and protection. We have in the past worked together with numerous clients and professional intermediaries to create and identify a range of solutions second to none. We pride ourselves in delivery of prompt responses and results. On request, testimonials to the above are available from CEOs of Fortune 500 companies and many U.S. accounting, banking and legal private client advisors. See Representative Client List.