Firm Name: ALMT Legal, Advocates & Solicitors
Practice Area: Shipping Law
Fax: +91 22 40010001
Gautam has broad ranging maritime, off-shore and shipping (dry & wet) practice representing clients in complex, high value, mutli-jurisdictional disputes. Gautam has also been advising ship owners, P&I clubs, ship builders, cargo owners etc. Being known as the most “responsive” lawyer in the sector, Gautam also represents private operators in ports, primarily focussing on the PPP model in development of infrastructre in ports including tender and concession disputes.
Gautam’s clients also include leading corporates and banks as well as industrial organizations. He is particularly recognised for his shipping and maritime expertise for handling admiralty disputes across Indian coastline. Gautam actively advises domestic and international clients on commercial disputes before various courts in India and arbitral tribunals both domestically and internationally. He regularly represents clients at International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), London Court of International Arbitrators (LCIA), London Maritime Arbitation Association (LMAA), Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC) and Singapore Chamber of Maritime Arbitartion (SCMA).
Gautam is a partner with ALMT Legal since 2009. At ALMT, Gautam heads the Shipping and Maritime, Insurance and Oil & Gas practice. Whether he is advising clients on commercial law or actively defending them before various legal fora, Gautam endeavours to provide practical and commercial approach to overcome the often complex commercial, regulatory, legal and technical issues associated with doing business in India.
Gautam regularly speaks at International conferences and enjoys speaking on the shipping sector and development of infrastructure of ports. Given his in-depth knowledge and strong network in the industry, Gautam is highly recommended in this sector.
Gautam’s professional highlights include:
– Representing a giant Indian multinational conglomerate in an admiralty action in Turkey with arbitration in London (LMAA) against a Korean ship owner.
– Representing one of the world’s largest shipping company, in its joint venture dispute with another Indian company with Arbitration (SIAC) in Singapore.
– Advised P&I Club and the owners on a multi jurisdictional dispute with crew member in relation to an accident on board an Italian vessel.
– Acted for insurance companies in relation to claims under diverse policies.
– Advising rig owner/operators in their disputes with an Indian oil and gas corporation in contractual disputes on exploration
– Advised an Australian corporate in ralation to a dispute on bill of lading with an Indian cargo interest and Chinese owners.
Professional appointments and activities
– Member – Singapore Chamber of Maritime Arbitration
– Member – International Bar Association
– Board Member -Indo African Chamber of commerce & Industries
– Member – Indo Arab Chamber of Commerce & Inductries
– Member – American Bar Association
– Bar Council of Maharashtra & Goa
– The Law Society (England & Wales)