Leaders in Law endorses Juan Carlos Merodio Lopez as our exclusively recommended Shipping Law expert in Mexico. If you wish to get in touch with Juan, please use the contact information provided above.
Juan Carlos Merodio is a lawyer, with a degree in finance from The Euromoney Institute in London, England, and completed his master’s degree in Law from the National Autonomous University of Mexico. His professional activity has been closely linked to consulting and legal representation and senior business management, especially in the transportation industry, telecommunications and infrastructure development, topics on which he is recognized nationally and internationally.
In 1991 he was the main partner and founder of the firm Merodio y Alfaro SC, currently called M&L Estudio Legal. For a period of three years, he served as Senior Vice President and Chief Compliance Officer of Grupo Iusacell SA de CV, under the administration of Verizon Communications Inc. and Vodafone, the two most important multinational telephone and telecommunications companies worldwide, with offices Main in New York and London, respectively. Previously, he held the position of CEO, member of the Executive Committee and member of the Board of Directors of Transportación Marítima Mexicana, SA de CV (GRUPO TMM) and its parent company Grupo Servia, SA
He has extensive experience in the placement of debt and equity instruments in international financial markets, having participated in operations that together represent more than 1.8 billion dollars. He has participated as a consultant to the Mexican Federal Government in the elaboration of different laws and regulations. He has acted as an international arbitrator in proceedings of the International Chamber of Commerce, based in Paris, France. He was legal advisor to the National Fund for Port Developments (FONDEPORT), a federal government trust for the development of ports and fishing industrial parks.
He has participated in the boards of directors of different companies: Cintra, Aeromexico, Mexicana, The Steamship Mutual Underwriting Association (London), Grupo TMM, Grupo TFM, Mexrail, Inc (USA). Grupo Iusacell SA de CV He has been a member and director of different business associations: Latin American Association of Mobile Telephony Operators-ALACEL (Vice President); National Chamber of the Maritime Transport Industry – CANAINTRAM (Vice President; Mexican Association of Ship Consignment Agents – AMANAC; Association of the Pacific Basin; American Bureau of Shipping; The Association of the Bar of the City of New York; and the Bar Mexicana-Bar Association, AC American Bureau of Shipping; The Association of the Bar of the City of New York; and the Mexican Bar-Colegio de Abogados, AC American Bureau of Shipping; The Association of the Bar of the City of New York; and the Mexican Bar-Colegio de Abogados, In matters of corporate reorganization, he is a category 1 specialist certified by the Federal Institute of Specialists in Commercial Insolvency and has been appointed as conciliator and trustee in important bankruptcy proceedings.
With more than 25 years of experience in the maritime sector, Mr. Merodio continue the representation of national and international clients in several maritime matters including, incorporation of shipping and agency corporations, ship-finance, leasing, registration and flagging, purchase-sale of vessels, maritime contracts and transactional work, insurance & reinsurance, P&I Clubs, arbitration, and litigation on dispute & casualties related with Mexico and Latin America. He is also frequently invited to collaborate in cases handled in other countries of Latin American, and to act as an advisor for many maritime law firms around the world.
Mr. Merodio is constantly invited to present speech and conferences in Mexico and Latin America on topics of his speciality.
- Titular Member of the Comité Maritimé International. (Antwerp, Belgium)
- Member Iberoamerican Institute of Maritime Law.
- Professor of Maritime Law at the Supreme Court of Justice of Mexico (Casa de la Cultura Jurídica)
- Professor of Maritime Law at the National Autonomous University of Mexico
- Appointed at the Executive Committee of American Bureau of Shipping for the preservation of life and property at sea.
- Member of The Association of Maritime Adjusters of the USA & Canada.
- Invited Lecturer at Lloyds of London.
- Certificate Instructor by Germanischer Lloyd in Seminar of Fundamentals of Ship Financing and Acquisitions. .
- National Award “Dr. Raul Cervantes Ahumada” by the Ministry of Education for contribution to Maritime Law development.
- Award “Dr. Jose Luis Rebollo” by the National Autonomous University for maritime law research.
- Extraordinary Recognition “Dr. Rafael Preciado Hernandez” by the National Autonomous University for commitment in faculty education.
- ACQ Global Award “Leading Shipping and Transport Lawyer Meixico-2016”
- Winner “Advisory Excellence 2021 Shipping & Maritime” (London)
- Senior-Partner and General Director of M&L Estudio Legal one of the leading Mexican law firms in transportation, international and commercial law, established in 1991 designated “ The Transportation Law Firm of the Year-Mexico”
- Former CEO- General Director of Transportacion Marìtima Mexicana (TMM Group), at the time the largest multimodal transportation company in Latin America, with presence in 60 countries and with services in the shipping (liner, tanker, off-shore), rail, port and logistics business.
- Former General Counsel of the TMM Group.
- Former Counsel for the Governmental Fund for Port Development (FONDEPORT)
- He has served as International Arbitration with the International Chamber of Commerce (Paris)
- Director of The Steamship Mutual Underwriting Association-Pandi Club (Great Britain),
- Director of the Executive Committee and Board of Directors of TMM Group Mexico),
- Director of the Board of Compañia Trasatlantica Española (Spain),
- Director of the Board of Flota Gran Colombiana (Colombia).
- He acted as Vice –Chairman of the Mexican Ship-owners Association. (CANAINTRAM)
- Fundamentals of Marine Insurance. Mexico, 2017.
- Introduction to Maritime Law. Mexico, 2015
- Legal Nature and Organization f the PANDI Clubs. Venezuela, 2012
- Fundamentals of Marine Insurance. Mexico,
- Mexican Law Principles. México.2008
M&L Estudio Legal is constantly referred by foreign firms to clients with interests and investments in Mexico and, likewise, we have correspondents in the cities of New York, London, Madrid, Bilbao, Barcelona, Genoa, Tokyo, Bogotá, Santiago de Chile and Buenos Aires.
- Infrastructure Projects
- Communications and Transportation
- Financial and Stock Market
- Real Estate
- Insurance and Reinsurance