Firm Name: Linowes and Blocher LLP
Jurisdiction: USA - Maryland
Practice Area: Real Estate Law
Leaders in Law endorses Anthony F. Cavanaugh as our exclusively recommended Real Estate Law expert in the USA – Maryland. If you wish to get in touch with Anthony please use the contact information provided above.
Anthony F. Cavanaugh is a partner in the firm’s Commercial Litigation and Real Estate Practices. He focuses on complex commercial litigation in the real estate and hospitality industries. He helps clients assess and mitigate risk in the deal-making process, representing clients in the evaluation of hotel and commercial property operations and in the negotiation of management contracts. Anthony also has handled cases involving toxic tort litigation, including the defense of a leading chemical manufacturer in a series of medical monitoring class actions.
Anthony represents developers, property owners, property managers, asset managers, franchisees, lenders, commercial landlords and tenants, and other commercial parties. He serves his clients as both an advocate and an advisor, and has significant experience in pre-dispute and litigation matters involving contract terms, regulatory requirements, fiduciary duties, unfair trade practices, franchise disputes, and other issues related to real estate, including hotel and restaurant properties. Concentrating his work primarily in Maryland
and Washington, D.C., Anthony maintains a national practice and has litigated cases across the country. He also has significant experience in arbitration and other alternative dispute resolution (ADR) forums.
Clients often come to Anthony when evaluating new acquisitions and business opportunities. They seek Anthony’s guidance regarding future liability and litigation risk. When disputes surface, whether during negotiations or after closing, Anthony helps clients assess their options and execute strategies designed to achieve favorable resolutions as efficiently as possible.
A sixth-generation Montgomery County resident, Anthony practiced at national law firms in Washington, D.C. before joining Linowes and Blocher. He is an active member of his local community, including serving as a coach and administrator for youth sports in the Olney-Sandy Spring area.
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
Fairfield University, B.A. cum laude, Phi
Bar & Court Admissions
District of Columbia
● Represented a hotel owner in state court litigation arising out of manager’s breach of the hotel’s management agreement and its fiduciary duties, and was successful in obtaining a declaration from the court that the hotel owner had the power to terminate the hotel operator at will based on a personal services theory;
● Represented a hotel owner in negotiating a beneficial termination of a franchise agreement with a major hotel operator;
● Represented a property owner in a federal court litigation against its ground lease tenant regarding tenant’s failure to pay rent;
● Represented a property owner in a federal court litigation with its tenants arising out of a planned renovation;
● Represented a major engineering firm in resolving a dispute with their real estate broker and property manager; and
● Represented a local restaurant chain in negotiating a favorable lease termination with its landlord, the United States Office of Comptroller of the Currency.
● Represented a corporation that prepares and administers educational testing in a dispute with its software vendor;
● Represented a government contractor in negotiating agreements with the U.S. Government to provide mobile capability to the United States Navy; and
● Represented a government contractor in a dispute with a former affiliate regarding misappropriation of trade secrets and other confidential information.
Honors & Distinctions
2013 and 2014 Washington, DC Super Lawyers, Rising Star, Business Litigation
Linowes and Blocher LLP, Partner, 2016-Present
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer, LLP, Counsel, 2014-2016
Steptoe & Johnson, LLP, Of Counsel, 2002-2014
Cavanaugh and Farnum in Bethesda Magazine’s Attorney Profiles May 2, 2017
Linowes and Blocher LLP Bolsters Commercial Litigation/Bankruptcy, Real Estate and Land Use/Zoning Practices January 20, 2017
Co-Author “Key Legal Issues”
Chapter for the Fifth Edition of Hotel Investments: Issues & Perspectives published by the American Hotel & Lodging
Association’s Educational Institute
Co-Author “Key Legal Issues: The Battle for Control”
Chapter for the Third Edition of Hotel Asset Management and Principles & Practices published by the American Hotel &
Lodging Association’s Educational Institute
The Limits of Insurance in Managing Hotel Cyberrisk
Hospitality Law360, Insurance Law360, Privacy Law360
The Pendulum Swings: Survey of Management Agreement Litigation
2014 Hospitality Law Conference, Houston, TX