Leaders in Law endorses José Luís Arnaut as our exclusively recommended Private Equity expert in Portugal. If you wish to get in touch with José please use the contact information provided above.
José Luís Arnaut has a vast experience on legal strategic advice to public and private companies. His main areas of practice include restructuring, privatisations, mergers and acquisitions and private equity.
His career has started as a lawyer within the practice area of intellectual property law with special focus on patent, trademarks, domain names, new technologies and competition law, areas where José Luís reached high level of recognition.
José Luís Arnaut is a member of the board of directors of several national and international entities.
Founding partner of CMS Rui Pena & Arnaut.
- Since 1992 he has been European Patent Attorney at the European Patent Office (Munich).
- Since 1996 he has been European Trademark Attorney at the European Union Office for Harmonization in the Internal
- Market (Alicante) and Official Industrial Property Agent at the I.N.P.I. – National Institute of Industrial Property
- In 1996 he was a member of the Monitoring and Revision Commission of the Industrial Property Code and between 1998 and 1999 he was a Member of the Revision Commission of the Industrial Property Code
- He was a Member of Parliament for 12 years
- He was Minister of State to the Prime Minister José Manuel Durão Barroso (2002 – 2004) and Minister of Cities, Local Administration, Housing and Regional Development (2004 – 2005). He was President of the Foreign Affairs Committee of the Portuguese Parliament (2005 – 2008)
- Law degree, Faculdade de Direito, Universidade Lusíada de Lisboa
- Diplôme d’Études Supérieures Spécialisées en “Accords et Propriété Industrielle”, CEIPI – Centre d’Études Internationales de la Propriété Industrielle, Université Robert Schuman em Strasbourg
- Member of the Portuguese Bar Association since 1996
- Member of ABA – American Bar Association since 1996
- Member of several international associations related with his area of practice, in which he has already held leading posts: INTA (International Trademark Association), AIPPI (Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Industrielle), FICPI (Fédération Internationale de Conseils en Propriété Industrielle), ECTA (European Communities Trade Mark Association) and PTMG (Pharmaceutical Trade Marks Group)
CMS Rui Pena & Arnaut:
CMS Rui Pena & Arnaut is a law firm that dates back to 1964 and is firmly established in the Portuguese market.
Renowned for its proficiency, professionalism and thoroughness, CMS Rui Pena & Arnaut builds long-term relationships with its clients which are based on trust and transparency. CMS Rui Pena & Arnaut works to provide reliable, ethical and legally correct solutions for clients while striving to be creative, competitive and efficient.
Drawing on its multidisciplinary expertise, CMS Rui Pena & Arnaut organises its work teams to take account of individual client requirements. This includes predicting likely scenarios and anticipating potential problems. The goal is to provide quality legal and tax advice and contribute to the successful pursuit of clients’ business objectives.
We explicitly guarantee the quality of the services we provide.
We carry out our work with dedication, enthusiasm and to the highest ethical standards.
We invest in those who work for us, encouraging their personal and professional growth, reinforcing team spirit and, above all, valuing those who work with us.
We search for what is best in our day-to-day business as well as constantly innovating in the way we work.
Corporate responsibility is for us an essential value which we demand of all those who work with us.
With a strong presence in the Portuguese market, CMS Rui Pena & Arnaut is part of CMS, the largest European legal and tax service provider. CMS´ wide range of jurisdictions and experience strengthens and supports CMS Rui Pena & Arnaut´s capacity, offering strategic added-value for clients of CMS Rui Pena & Arnaut. We have our own unique culture which defines our identity and our work.
Ranked as a Top 10 Global Law Firm, CMS can work for you in 42 countries and 74 offices worldwide. 4,500 CMS lawyers offer you business-focused advice tailored to your needs, whether in your local market or across multiple jurisdictions.
Who we are
Ranked as a Top 10 Global Law Firm, CMS can work for you in 42 countries and with 74 offices worldwide. 4,500 CMS lawyers offer you business-focused advice tailored to your needs, whether in your local market or across multiple jurisdictions.
Your World First
‘Your World First’ is our promise to you. This means we are client-centric, have world vision and are performance driven.
Client-centric – Being immersed in the industry sectors our clients operate in is at the heart of what we do. Our business is structured according to the industries our clients work in, delivering technically excellent lawyers who talk your language.
You can benefit from added value services such as Law-Now which provides practical and timely knowledge relevant to your business and from webinars for training at your desk. To help you manage your account, we deliver reporting information such as invoicing, matter progress, fees, work in progress and bespoke reports.
We have deep local expertise in many jurisdictions and major global centers. CMS has a track record of expanding to meet client needs, moving into countries such as Turkey and Oman to support infrastructure and energy projects.
CMS lawyers are part of organizations such as the CMS Lifesciences Asia-Pacific Network and the African Legal Network. We understand how macro trends, such as the fall in oil price, affect your business and stay on top of the news agenda, regulatory discussions and new legislation.
Performance driven – CMS takes pride in first-class execution and project management – we deliver results, not just opinions. This approach to service delivery is the same everywhere, based on a common training program and a shared understanding of what our clients value.
All CMS lawyers, both those we recruit and those we train in-house, are focused on providing quality advice and quality service. We recruit, value and nurture top talent and through regular, independent evaluations, we identify opportunities to make improvements in our service and feed this back to our lawyers.