Kavitha Vijay has been associated with the Chennai office ever since the commencement of its operations in July 2006.
She works primarily on mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures. She has also been a key player in starting the micro-finance practice in the Firm and has been actively engaged in advising many non-banking financial companies and micro finance companies with regulatory compliances, structuring of loan documentations, besides assisting them raise capital. Her other practice areas involve infrastructure and media & entertainment, besides general corporate law and advisory services. Her portfolio of clients include Saksoft Limited, , Emerging Markets Investment Fund 1A, The Midland Rubber and Produce Company Limited, CR Caterers India Private Limited, Eucare Pharmaceuticals Private Limited, MM Forgings Limited, Amrish Oncology Private Limited, Muthu Pharma Private Limited, , Bioserve Clinical Research Private Limited amongst others.
She is an independent woman director on the Board of a listed company, besides directorships in other public and private limited companies. She is also a trustee in an NGO Foundation “The Interface” which is involved with implementation of Corporate Social Responsibility related activities for corporate organizations. She has been involved with The Indus Entrepreneurs, Chennai Chapter, the Round Table of India and the Rotary Club for many years.
She holds a graduate degree in science from Madras University and a graduate degree in law from the Tamil Nadu Dr. Ambedkar Law University, Chennai.
Mergers & Acquisitions Law Practice:
Mergers & Acquisitions (“M&A”) being synonymous with efficient and effective growth strategy to various corporations, we have gained significant expertise in this field by successfully leveraging our experience and specialization in domestic and cross-border M&A transactions. We combine our rich experience and expertise with laws / regulations and research capabilities to devise innovative structures for M&A and have developed a successful domestic and international M&A practice.
Our Joint Ventures (“JV”) practice is an innovative and unique blend of expertise arising from a thorough understanding of domestic and international laws. We are geared to advise clients on all facets of joint ventures be it investment strategies, corporate and tax structures, investment documentation, compliances, IP licensing and strategy, franchising and exits including any third party sales. We represent clients that seek to utilize advantages of competitive operating costs in India in order to leverage their technologies and to take advantage of the burgeoning Indian domestic market and have been engaged as counsel across industries. Our structures for investment and operations from both regulatory and tax perspectives, including the extraction of technology payments are some of the most innovative ones in the JV space.
Our domain and sector focused teams across the country and our complementary practice areas enable us to deal with and advice on complex legal, regulatory and strategic issues involved in any M&A and JV transactions efficiently and cost effectively.
We assist our clients with:
- Efficient structuring of M&A and JV transactions from a legal, regulatory and tax perspective and resolving complex legal and exchange control considerations through innovative structures.
- Seeking regulatory approvals and liaising with the regulators as may be mandated by the transaction structure.
- Leveraged buy-outs, sale and purchase of distressed assets, restructurings, including capital and debt restructuring, buy-back of securities and reduction of capital.
- Undertaking legal and corporate due diligence with an industry specific focus across various sectors and industries and inter alia advising from a strategic perspective.
- Drafting, review and negotiation of transaction documents such as term-sheet, scheme of arrangement to be filed with National Company Law Tribunal, various forms of agreements in relation to any given transaction, including but not limited to, share purchase agreements, share subscription agreements, stock swap agreement, shareholders’ agreements, joint venture agreements, asset transfer agreements, business transfer agreements, non-compete agreements, non-disclosure agreements, escrow agreements, intellectual property agreements, employment agreements and other ancillary documents.
- Preparation of disclosure schedule/letter.
- Closing and post-closing assistance including but not limited to filing of requisite forms with regulatory authorities.