Rem is a leading UK expert in the field of IP, IT, data protection and communications law. With his first-hand industry experience, he brings a unique set of skills and capabilities, combining specialist legal, professional engineering and technology consulting expertise.
Rem works with all types of businesses – multinationals, listed companies, tech/IP rich start-ups and public and third sector organisations – advising their senior management teams on strategic, business transformation and mission critical matters, and helping them to more effectively mitigate and manage their day-to-day contractual, regulatory and legal risks, within the context of their business environment and the sectors in which they operate.
His national and international experience covers numerous sectors including TMT, financial services, fintech, manufacturing, retail, pharmaceutical, MedTech, healthcare, education, central and local government.
Rem is a regular contributor, speaker and chair on numerous topics including technology, media and communications law, sourcing arrangements, change management, innovation and enterprise. He writes extensively on IP, technology, digital media and telecoms and has co-edited an international text book on communications and competition law.
He is also a member of the United Nations Global Geospatial Information Management Working Group, tasked with developing a new international legal and policy framework for the use and management of geospatial information. In November 2018, Rem was appointed by the World Bank as a special adviser and expert on the application of blockchain for food supply chain traceability. He is also a Visiting Professor of Enterprise and Entrepreneurship.
Tech & Communications
- Complex and large-scale IT programmes (SIAM, strategic sourcing and procurement arrangements)
- Communications network infrastructure programmes (including ultrafast ‘full-fibre’/FTTP, fixed/wireless access (including hybrid)), voice & data communications network services (WAN/LAN) and 3G/4G mobile services and 5G pilot projects
- Liaising with Ofcom on regulatory matters
- Business transformation and business process re-engineering projects
- System integration, software licensing and distribution arrangements
- Cloud computing (including SaaS, IaaS and PaaS)
- Blockchain, digital assets and data authenticity, integrity and traceability applications
- Artificial intelligence and machine learning
- Internet of Things / Industrie 4.0 and Smart Cities
- Digital media and entertainment arrangements
- EU Public Procurement Regs, State aid and Competition law
Data Privacy and Cyber security
- GDPR – advisory, audits, compliance, due diligence, governance, subject access requests, risk analysis, data management and training
- Data strategy, retention, mapping and operating models
- Privacy policies, privacy notices, DP impact assessments, legitimate interest assessments and contractual drafting (such as data sharing, joint data controller and data processing arrangements)
- Cyber security – policies, strategy, technical and legal issues, incident planning and breach management
- Freedom of Information Act – information requests and breaches under FOIA
- ICO liaison and complaints and breach strategy and management
- All aspects of IP rights – copyright, patents, know-how/trade-secrets, trade marks and design rights
- IP protection, management, tech transfer, commercialisation (including monetization) and enforcement of IP rights
- IP strategy, and corporate structuring
- Franchising, distribution, sponsorship and general commercial agreements
- JVs, spin-outs, collaboration arrangements and disposals/divestitures
Tech & Communications
- Advising a £2.7 billion International food and drink client, on a range of largescale IT projects (over £100m) to transform the client’s middle and back office operations, including selection of an ERP provider and systems integrator; supplier selection and replacement of their voice, data and network communications infrastructure for the UK and Ireland operations; and in respect of a dispute with a Tier 1 supplier arising from data centre failures and contractual non-performances
- Advising an International IT services and solutions provider on IT / software development and managed services contracts with clients, such as, a dual listed Independent Nigerian Oil and Gas Company; and a leading North Sea Energy and Petroleum company clients
- Advising various charities on their business-critical IT and business transformation programmes; managed services and software licensing arrangements
- Advising an Ultrafast broadband network services provider in relation to:
• its bid for the Scottish Government’s R100 Next Generation Access (NGA) Broadband Programme for rural Scotland and Islands (over £800m of gap funded public subsidy);
• its contracts for the delivery of NGA programmes across Southern England (over £200m of gap funded public subsidy); and
• on strategic and day-to-day matters
Data Privacy and Cyber security
- Advising a listed Wholesaler business on data protection and data security matters, including GDPR readiness, data strategy and compliance – involving training the cross-office strategy team, business functions, the executive board; reviewing privacy policies, key supplier and customer contracts; personal data mapping and strategic planning
- Advising a leading car brand group on GDPR compliance matters including subject access requests, breaches and policies
(including EU state aid/competition law)
- Advising NHS England – on the commercialization of its Cancer care resource planning tools internationally. Initially this was modelled on hybrid revenue model over a 5-year terms (generating £70m) before being re-structured and the IP assigned to a $2.5 billion medical equipment provider. This is one of the largest IP commercialisations in the NHS
- Advising 7 leading universities across England and Wales on:
• Tech transfer and IP strategies and policy arrangements
• Complex cross border IP commercialisation and revenue generation arrangements– ranging from biochemical, health, gaming; audio-visual, environmental, oceanographic (including the UAE OCEAN Centre of Excellence Project for the UAE Navy), solar energy, IT/software, education learning platforms, Smart City solutions/platforms to an International Centre of Excellence for Automotive
• Cross border and cross industry Horizon2020 research projects.
We’re a team of instinctively commercial lawyers, passionate about delivering the best legal service with our people and our clients at the heart of everything we do.
Acuity Law is a dynamic law company, with a modern organisational structure and an agile, fluid team-centric model. Not held back by tradition, we’re always looking to improve our client service and grow our community of lawyers and other professionals.
In today’s global business environment, we’re a high-performing organisation operating as empowered networks and ecosystems with shared values and a shared ambition for disruptive innovation. Not weighed down by legacy practices, systems and behaviours, we can move faster, adapt quickly, respond rapidly and embrace the changing legal services marketplace.
For us, this means collaboration, communication, accountability and a leadership mindset that rewards client-centric design thinking. For you, it means easy access, more transparency and choice, faster delivery, better value and connectivity with your business.
As experts in our fields, total quality at all levels of our business is our hallmark. This is our measure of success: long-standing client relationships, helping you to achieve your business objectives as an extension of your commercial and legal teams.
Naturally inquisitive and entrepreneurial, our teams of exceptional people detect legal problems early and solve complex business challenges quickly and efficiently. From outsourced legal support to digital platforms for data privacy compliance, we can help you realise opportunities, manage risk and achieve your best results.