Leaders in Law endorses Guy Manning as our exclusively recommended Insolvency & Restructuring Law expert in the Cayman Islands. If you wish to get in touch with Guy, please use the contact information provided above.
Partner, Head of Litigation, Insolvency & Restructuring
Guy joined Campbells in 2005 and has been head of our Litigation, Insolvency & Restructuring Group since 2016. He is ranked by all the major legal directories, has substantial experience as an advocate, and has given expert evidence of Cayman Islands law to various foreign courts. He is also a regular speaker at international insolvency and fund conferences.
In his spare time Guy is a keen adventurer. Among other expeditions, he has climbed the Seven Summits (the highest mountain on each continent), skied to the South Pole and cycled across the United States.
- Insolvency & Corporate Restructuring
- Investment Fund Disputes
- Shareholder Disputes
- Commercial Litigation
Guy has been involved in most of the Cayman Islands’ highest profile disputes, liquidations and restructurings since moving to the jurisdiction in 2005. He has acted for financial institutions, investment funds, creditors, shareholders, provisional and official liquidators, directors, managers and other professional service providers in relation to the restructuring and liquidation of numerous Cayman Islands companies and partnerships. He also has a busy general litigation practice involving widely varying commercial contexts and structures, but with a particular emphasis on shareholder and investment fund disputes.
Notable recent instructions include:
- Advising the joint provisional liquidators of Luckin Coffee Inc. in connection with the restructuring of approximately US$1bn of debt, following a widely publicized fraud and delisting,
- Acting for the joint provisional and official liquidators of ABRAAJ Investment Management Limited, the investment manager of the Abraaj group. Prior to its collapse in 2018, Abraaj had been the largest private equity firm operating in emerging markets, with some 40 underlying funds, over 600 investors, and $14bn of AUM at its peak,
- Defending a very substantial investment fund against winding up proceedings brought on the just and equitable ground,
- Advising the Liquidation Committee of SAAD Investments Company Limited, a liquidation involving the longest trial in Cayman Iegal history, and
- Acting for dissenter groups against 58.Com Inc. and Nord Anglia Education, Inc. in the two largest Cayman Islands fair value appraisal proceedings arising from take private transactions.
Qualifications and Admissions
- Solicitor British Virgin Islands, 2011
- Attorney at Law Cayman Islands, 2005
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales, 1999 (non-practising)
- Cayman Islands Law Society
Campbells is a leading full service offshore law firm established in 1970. From our offices in the Cayman Islands, the British Virgin Islands and Hong Kong we provide comprehensive corporate and litigation advice and services to clients worldwide in relation to Cayman Islands and British Virgin Islands law. We are regularly trusted to advise some of the most prominent names in finance, investment and insurance and we are frequently involved in the largest and most complex transactions, disputes and insolvencies in both jurisdictions.
Our legal team is internationally recognised for its expertise by leading directories and trade publications and we are also proud to be actively involved in the development of legislation, sitting on critical government legislative committees. Campbells is a member of the international legal networks Meritas and World Law Group.