Jodylee is an accredited family law specialist with more than 20 years’ experience. She advises in relation to all issues involving married and de facto couples, including same-sex couples. She is a Principal Lawyer in Aitken Partners’ Family Law team.
Her practice covers everything from separation and divorce to parenting disputes, including IVF, as well as binding financial agreements and all aspects of financial issues and property settlements. Jodylee uses negotiation, mediation, arbitration and litigation tools to achieve the best outcome for her clients.
Jodylee is a regular speaker on family law related issues and is regularly quoted in the media and recognised as a leading expert in the area.
She can assist with:
- property / financial settlements and disputes, including complex and multi-jurisdictional property matters, the joinder of 3rd parties to family law proceedings, injunctions and enforcement proceedings, and valuation disputes
- advising and documenting inter-generational wealth transfer and family business succession
- spousal maintenance
- superannuation splitting orders and agreements
- drafting and advising in relation to binding financial agreements (whether before cohabitation / marriage, during the de facto relationship / marriage, or post separation and / or divorce)
- parenting matters including relocation applications, lives with/spends time with disputes, passport applications, paternity disputes, naming disputes and change of name applications, contravention and variation applications
- child support and child maintenance (for over 18s and non-biological children)
- divorce and nullity
- family violence and intervention orders and associated criminal matters including breach of orders
- surrogacy and IVF related advice and agreements
Her recent experience includes:
- acting for multiple respondents in a multi-party dispute before the Family Court (Melbourne). The issues involved in this case included (i) section 106B application to reverse the issue of shares in a company to her clients, the allegation being it was a transaction to defeat the Wife’s claim, (ii) choice of correct valuation methodology for the business, (iii) multi-level trust and corporate structures, and (iv) taxation issues;
- acting in relation to a large property dispute (approx. a $600 million asset pool) which involved assets in multiple jurisdictions and complex tax and valuation issues. This involved the appointment and instruction of various experts, including forensic accountants, real estate valuers and tax experts;
- drafting and advising in relation to a (pre-nuptial) financial agreement to protect assets worth in excess of $1B
- planning, documenting and advising in relation to intergenerational wealth transfer including transfer of control of a family owned business and protecting same from marital / relationship breakdown to benefit future generations of the family
Areas of Law: Family Law, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Property, Parenting, Financial Agreements and Child Support
Qualifications: Accredited Specialist Family Law BA/LLB (Monash University)
- Named “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers for Family Law, Melbourne (2019 & 2020)
- Best Lawyer Listing, Family Law, 2018-20
- Doyle’s Guide, Rising Star, 2016
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Family Law Section
- Law Council of Australia
Aitken Partners is one of the most experienced law firms in Melbourne, representing clients from across the private and business sectors for nearly 100 years.
We work for you, providing one-on-one consultations to better understand the finer details of your matters and to deliver a more personalised and supportive form of legal representation.
Our staff are approachable, compassionate and dedicated, standing up for you and your interests throughout the various legal processes and striving to deliver the very best outcome possible.
We have been in business since 1923 when we grew from being a small country firm to become one of the most respected legal firms across Victoria and throughout Australia, and have been located in William Street, Melbourne, for all that time.
We have experience in handling local, national and international matters and often coordinate with other legal experts and consultants in various fields and locations to provide our clients with a complete and trusted service on a range of cases and disputes.
For a local law firm you can trust to represent your voice and interests, turn to Aitken Partners.
Law Firms Melbourne
As a leading law firm in Melbourne, we know that clients and other firms look to us to set the standard of professional excellence in the industry. Our staff have an in-depth understanding of the law and always working to build and enhance their understanding to better serve our clients.
Unlike many other major law firms in Melbourne our focus is getting to know our clients on a more personal level, building lasting and trusted relationships over many years. We employ a small team of skilled and passionate professionals and we choose them not only on their legal and advisory skills, but also their ability to form meaningful relationships with clients and other professionals.
We are always honest with our clients, clearly describing their legal standing early in the matter and providing them with the best option available moving forward.