Manoj is recommended for Disputes Resolution Practice by the renowned Legal 500, which describes Manoj as ‘excellent and solution-oriented lawyer’. He has been recently illustrated and featured as one of the 100 Legal Luminaries of India.
Active in judicial, arbitral and administrative proceedings across a wide spread of sectors and in litigation across a wide range of commercial disputes relating to banking, finance, natural resources, infrastructure, corporate, civil, etc.
A responsive, trusted and engaging advocate with a focus on solutions which are sound, pragmatic and business-savvy. He has won many roles in major cases and contentious proceedings representing high-profile individuals, large corporate and public institutions. He has a fine record for handling cases and an excellent reputation at the Supreme Court of India, various High Courts in India and before international arbitration forums. His forte is commercial litigation.
He was also recommended for disputes resolution by Indian Lawyers 250 (notable 40 under 40 lawyers) and Finance Monthly amongst others.
FOUNDING PARTNER, SINGH & ASSOCIATES
As the Founding Partner of Singh & Associates he is at the top of his league.
Singh & Associates fields a large team that focuses on litigation and alternative dispute resolution and handles a significant number of filings in the Supreme Court of India and various High Courts. The Litigation Practice of Singh & Associates, headed by him has a mix of strategic litigation (domestic and international) in civil, criminal commercial and arbitration matters.
He practices, appears and argues matters before the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India, all High Courts in the country and various tribunals and district courts. He regularly represents clients in cross-border financial and investment disputes. His signature strength is in commercial disputes including white collar litigation and related contentious work, but also has a diversified practice that includes an increasing number of arbitration and general civil proceedings.
He also advises clients in Foreign Investment in India, offshore commercial borrowings, cross border taxation, project financing, anti dumping, energy and natural resources, etc. He has extensive experience in domestic and international arbitrations including ad-hoc and institutional arbitrations. He has successfully undertaken and represented clients in many international arbitrations including under the rules of the London Maritime Arbitrators Association (LMAA), International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), and the Singapore International Arbitration Center (SIAC).
Brief details of a few notable arbitration matters are as under:
(i) Successfully represented an infrastructure sector client in an international arbitration involving issues relating to FX derivatives (the ISDA Master Agreement) before the LCIA;
(ii) Successfully represented ERA Infra Engineering Limited, a large Indian Infrastructure Company, against Adani Global Pte Limited in an international commercial arbitration before the SIAC;
(iii) Successfully represented and settled the matter for and on behalf of Delhi Transco Ltd. (DTL) in an international arbitration before the Arbitral Tribunal for resolution of disputes through international commercial arbitration following the ICC Rules on arbitration;
(iv) Successfully represented and settled the matter for and on behalf of our client Jindal ITF in an international commercial arbitration before the SIAC through filing only of brief reference of claim and an interim application;
(v) Represented IRCON International (a Government of India Public Sector Undertaking Company) against a major infrastructure multi-national company in an international commercial arbitration before the ICC, Paris.
Under his guidance, Singh & Associates, which was founded in 2002 reached new heights. Singh & Associates is an ISO 9001:2008 certified full service international law firm, headquartered in New Delhi. Singh & Associates has a pan India presence, with offices strategically situated in the major metropolitan cities; including Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and associate offices in Patna, Ranchi and Kolkata. Over the years, the Firm has created its own forte in Corporate & Commercial Laws, Foreign Investments, Contractual Obligations, Intellectual Property Rights, Real Estate & Infrastructure, Pharmaceutical Compliances, Taxation Laws, Dispute Resolution, and Labour, Employment and Service Laws. Singh & Associates provides a wide array of services to both domestic and multi-jurisdictional clientele and is considered as one of the largest law firm in India, with a strength of 100 professionals, which includes 70 lawyers along with Chartered Accountants, Company Secretaries, Patent Agents, Taxation Experts, Engineers, and Drugs Consultants on its rolls.
He completed Bachelor of Arts (History Hons.), from University of Delhi in 1995 and Bachelor of Law, from Campus Law Centre, University of Delhi completed in 2002 along with PGD (IPR), from Indian Law Institute, New Delhi.
Awards and recognition received by Mr Singh and /or Singh & Associates
* Mr. Manoj K Singh, Founding Partner featured in and as one of the 100 Legal Luminaries of India (A coffee table book published by Lexis Nexis),
* The Firm was invited by the Secretary, Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP), Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Govt. of India for giving inputs and suggestions to existing regulatory framework on Ease of Doing Business in India in order to improve the current ranking of India in World Bank Group’s Doing Business Report,
* Recommended Law Firm for Dispute Resolution by Legal 500,
* Recommended Law Firm for Intellectual Property Rights by Legal 500,
* Recognized Law Firm (Financial and Corporate 2016) by IFLR1000,
* Recognized Law Firm (Financial and Corporate 2015) by IFLR1000,
* Recognized Law Firm (Energy & Infrastructure 2015) by IFLR1000,
* World’s Leading Trademark Professionals by WTR1000,
* India Business Law Journal Award 2014 for Corporate & Commercial category,
* 40 under 45 Young Lawyer Award’ 2013,
* India Business Law Journal Award for Corporate & Commercial Category for 2013,
* Arbitration Law Firm of the Year by Finance Monthly Awards,
* Corporate Governance Law Firm of the Year by Lawyer Monthly Legal Awards;
* Recognized Law Firm In India by Indian Lawyer 250 (a sister publication of Who’s Who Legal),
* Appreciation Certificates from World Bank for contribution on its publications, namely:
- “Doing Business – 2009 performing through difficult times in the year 2009”,
- “Making a difference in Entrepreneurs in 2010”
- “Doing Business in more Transparent world in 2011”,
- “Doing Business in a More Transparent World in 2012”,
- “Smarter Regulations for Small and Medium-Size Enterprises in 2013”,
- “Understanding Regulations for Small and Medium-Size enterprises in 2014” and
- “Going Beyond Efficiency in 2015”.
SCHOLARLY CONTRIBUTIONS INCLUDE
- Chaired session on “Arbitration in India-US Cross Border Disputes” during Conference India-United States Cross Border Investment 2.0 : Counseling in Reform Environments, organized by SILF and American Bar Association (India Committee under International Section), February 18-19, 2016 at the Hyatt Regency, New Delhi.
- Delivered Lecture on “Prosecution Management” for the members / officers of Serious Fraud Investigation Office (SFIO), a multi-disciplinary organization under Ministry of Corporate Affairs, on 13 February 2016.
- Chapter on “Tax Litigation – Jurisdictional Comparisons” as Tax Litigation expert for India for the European Lawyer “Tax Litigation Reference Book”;
- Chapter on “Transfer Pricing & Tax Avoidance” for the European Lawyer’s “Transfer Pricing& Tax Avoidance – Jurisdictional Comparisons” Reference Book.
- Chapter on “Civil Litigation- Jurisdictional Comparisons” as Civil Litigation expert for India for the European Lawyer “Civil Litigation” Reference Book;
- Paper & Presentation on “Conflicts Rules Determining The Applicable Law And Jurisdiction In Construction Contracts” for International Constructions Projects Session during International Bar Association Annual Conference [30th September to 06th October 2012], Dublin, Ireland.
- Paper & Presentation on “Current Issues: Competing Infrastructure; Planning; Effective Contract Administration; Dispute Resolution Mechanism; Aggressive Bidding; And Sectors In Which PPP Model Are Coming Up” for International Constructions Projects Session during International Bar Association Annual Conference [03rd to 08th October 2010], Vancouver, Canada.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIP AND AFFILIATIONS
- Bar Council of India
- Supreme Court Bar Association
- Delhi High Court Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Alliance of Business Lawyers
- International Trademark Association
- Indo-American Chamber of Commerce & Industry
- Indo-China Chamber of Commerce
- Indo-German Chamber of Commerce
- Indo-Italian Chamber of Commerce & Industry
- Indo-Japan Chamber of Commerce
- Indo-French Chamber of Commerce
- New York State Bar Association
- Inter Pacific Bar Association (IPBA)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
- Confederation of Indian Industries
- The Associated Chambers of Commerce & Industry of India
- Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce & Industry
- Society of Indian Law Firms
* He is a Director in Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, India.
* He is the Assistant General Secretary of Society of Indian Law Firms
* His name is incorporated in the North India Regional Council of Indo American Chamber of Commerce