Accidents involving large trucks can be some of the most catastrophic due to the sheer size and weight of these vehicles. When a collision occurs, the injuries suffered due to a car wreck are often severe, leaving victims with long-lasting physical, emotional, and financial consequences. In this article, we will discuss the common types of injuries sustained in truck accidents, the steps you should take following an accident, and how expert personal injury lawyers can help secure the compensation you deserve.
The Severity of Truck Accident Injuries
Truck accidents are particularly dangerous because of the significant differences in size and weight between commercial trucks and passenger vehicles. A fully loaded tractor-trailer can weigh up to 80,000 pounds, while the average passenger vehicle weighs around 3,000 pounds. This disparity often results in severe injuries and fatalities for those involved in a collision with a truck.
Common Types of Injuries
The types of injuries suffered in truck accidents can vary greatly depending on the circumstances of the crash. Some common injuries sustained in truck accidents include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI): A TBI is caused by a sudden blow or jolt to the head, which can occur during a truck accident. These injuries can range from mild concussions to severe brain damage, leading to lifelong cognitive and physical impairments.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: The force of a collision with a large truck can cause damage to the spinal cord, resulting in temporary or permanent paralysis. Paraplegia and quadriplegia are two common outcomes of severe spinal cord injuries.
- Broken Bones and Fractures: The impact of a truck accident can cause bones to break or shatter, requiring surgery and extensive rehabilitation.
- Internal Injuries: The force of a truck accident can cause damage to internal organs, such as the liver, kidneys, or spleen. These injuries can be life-threatening if not treated promptly.
- Lacerations and Burns: Severe lacerations and burns can result from broken glass, twisted metal, or even fires caused by the collision.
- Emotional Trauma: In addition to physical injuries, truck accident victims often suffer from emotional trauma, including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, and depression.
The Long-term Consequences of Truck Accident Injuries
The severity of injuries sustained in truck accidents often leads to long-term consequences that can significantly impact the quality of life for victims and their families. These consequences may include ongoing medical treatments, rehabilitation, and the need for assistive devices or home modifications. Additionally, victims may face permanent disabilities that prevent them from returning to work or engaging in activities they once enjoyed. The emotional toll of coping with these life-altering changes can be immense, leading to depression, anxiety, and strained relationships with loved ones. It is crucial to recognize the lasting impact of truck accident injuries when seeking compensation, as it will play a significant role in determining the appropriate amount needed to cover current and future expenses related to the accident.
Steps to Take Following a Truck Accident
If you are involved in a truck accident, it’s essential to take specific steps to ensure your safety and protect your legal rights. These include:
- Call 911: Immediately call for emergency assistance to report the accident and seek medical attention.
- Seek Medical Attention: Even if you feel fine after the accident, it’s crucial to get checked by a medical professional. Some injuries may not be apparent immediately but can cause long-term health issues if left untreated.
- Document the Scene: If it’s safe, take photos of the accident scene, including damage to both vehicles, skid marks, and any other relevant details. This evidence can be crucial in building your case.
- Gather Witness Information: Speak to any witnesses present at the scene and collect their contact information. They may provide valuable testimony to support your claim.
- Report the Accident to Your Insurance Company: Notify your insurance company of the accident as soon as possible, but avoid making any statements or accepting any settlement offers without consulting an attorney first.
The Role of Expert Personal Injury Lawyers
When it comes to securing compensation for injuries suffered due to a car wreck involving a truck, expert personal injury lawyers play a crucial role. They will work tirelessly to build a strong case on your behalf and fight for the compensation you deserve. Some ways a personal injury lawyer can help include:
Investigating the Accident
A thorough investigation of the truck accident is necessary to determine liability and gather evidence to support your claim. Personal injury lawyers have the resources and expertise to conduct this investigation, including reviewing police reports, interviewing witnesses, and analyzing crash data.
Determining liability in a truck accident can be complex, as multiple parties may share responsibility for the crash. An experienced personal injury lawyer will identify all potentially liable parties, such as the truck driver, the trucking company, or even the manufacturer of faulty vehicle parts.
Personal injury lawyers are skilled in calculating the full extent of damages you may be entitled to, including medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. They will ensure that you are not shortchanged by insurance companies looking to minimize their payouts.
Negotiating with Insurance Companies
Insurance companies often try to take advantage of victims by offering lowball settlements or denying claims altogether. A personal injury lawyer will handle all communications with insurance companies on your behalf, ensuring that your rights are protected and that you receive a fair settlement.
Representing You in Court
If your case goes to trial, an experienced personal injury lawyer will present a compelling argument on your behalf, using their knowledge of the law and the evidence gathered during the investigation to secure the best possible outcome for your case.
Injuries suffered due to a car wreck involving a truck can have life-altering consequences for the victims and their families. If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident, it’s crucial to seek the assistance of an expert personal injury lawyer who can help you navigate the legal process and secure the compensation you deserve. Don’t let the negligence of others leave you struggling financially and emotionally—reach out to a qualified attorney today.