Leaders in Law endorses Brian W Burkhalter as our exclusively recommended Construction Law expert in Georgia, USA. If you wish to get in touch with Brian please use the contact information provided above.
Brian W. Burkhalter is an experienced construction and litigation attorney and a trusted business counselor to his clients. He manages a broad-based commercial litigation practice with an emphasis in representing clients in the areas of construction law and litigation. He has experience in all phases of a project, including bid and proposal preparation, contract award controversies, and performance-related disputes and claims.
A significant portion of his practice involves claims avoidance through assisting clients in every phase of the construction process, from the negotiation and drafting of construction contracts to educating clients through day-to-day review of projects, contracts, issues and project documents. Additionally, Brian has extensive experience in litigation and dispute resolution before arbitration panels, administrative agencies and litigation in state, federal and appellate courts. He has represented commercial general contractors, specialty subcontractors, design and engineering professionals and product suppliers.
Brian also focuses his practice on insurance coverage and bad faith litigation. He has represented clients in claims and suits concerning various types of insurance policy interpretation and coverage, including commercial general liability, excess casualty, boiler and machinery, surety and bond, directors & officers liability, employment practices liability, commercial property, builders risk policies and first party insurance policies.
Construction & Surety Litigation
Business and Commercial Litigation
Insurance Coverage Disputes and Bad Faith Litigation
Transportation Claims and Litigation
- Georgia Bar
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle Districts of Georgia
- Barrister in the Lamar American Inn of Court
- State Bar of Georgia’s Construction
- Litigation and Young Lawyers Divisions Sections
- American Bar Association’s Forum on the Construction Industry
- Construction Finance Management Association
- Associated General Contractors of America
Pro bono/Community Service
- Volunteer general counsel for Stepping Stones Educational Therapy Center in Griffin, GA
- Represented waterproofing contractor in arbitration concerning construction and design defects at the construction of the Atlantic Station project in Atlanta, Georgia with claimed damages exceeding $100 million.
- Represented specialty contractor in multiple contract disputes concerning unpaid contract amounts related to the CityCenter project in Las Vegas, Nevada, the largest privately-funded construction and development project in the country, with total amount in controversy in excess of $500 million.
- Represented specialty contractor in pursuing a claim concerning unpaid contract amounts and delay claim damages incurred in the construction of five-star hotel project in Florida.
- Represented Fortune 500 company in pursuing manufacturer of defective product and successfully obtained two appellate decisions validating right to pursue claims.
- Defended specialty contractor in a matter concerning water intrusion and alleged construction defects at a condominium project in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Extensive experience drafting and negotiating contracts for developers of high-rise condominiums and hotels, hospitals, industrial real estate developers, colleges and universities, shopping center developers, construction managers and general and specialty contractors.
- Defended truss manufacturer in litigation and arbitration concerning construction defects and collapse of luxury residential home with damages claimed in excess of $4 million.
- Assists construction companies in various trades to create standardized “form” contract documents and review of contractual obligations.
- University of Florida with a B.S. in Journalism and Public Relations