Leaders in Law endorses Scott Goodwin as our exclusively recommended Franchise Law expert in New Zealand. If you wish to get in touch with Scott please use the contact information provided above.
Scott is a commercial lawyer with a particular passion for franchising and intellectual property.
Scott provides strategic commercial advice to a wide range of businesses on all aspects of franchising with a particular focus on creating “bankable” franchise arrangements.
He is recognised by key service providers and bankers to the franchise industry as a leader and specialist in his field and through these strategic alliances he is able to add value to his clients far beyond the provision of legal services.
Scott is part of a franchise leadership group made up of key industry service providers, bankers and the Franchise Association of New Zealand, all of whom have been instrumental in establishing New Zealand’s first bi-annual franchise survey in conjunction with Massey University.
He also assists clients with the creation of intellectual property bunkers so as to put in place effective structures for the protection of all aspects of his clients’ intellectual property relevant to the franchise system.
Scott has provided effective strategies for the protection of trade marks, logos and brands to his clients in both New Zealand and Australia and has project managed the global protection of trade marks.
Indicative Previous Work
- Assisting a client with the completion of a high level due diligence investigation relating to the $6million acquisition of a “going concern” master franchise opportunity for an internationally recognised “coffee” franchise
- Negotiating a master franchise agreement and regionalising sub-franchise and offer documentation for a New Zealand based client relating to a UK based franchise opportunity
- Advising a client on the proposed acquisition of a master franchise opportunity to export a New Zealand based system into Malaysia – including liaising with a Malaysian based solicitor experienced in franchising
- Assisting a franchisor with the performance management and subsequent termination of a multi site franchisee including creating a commercial solution to mitigate the exposure of the franchisee’s bankers and suppliers
- Assisting a regional master franchisee with the acquisition of a franchisor’s intellectual property including the subsequent review of the franchise structure and redrafting of appropriate franchise documentation
- Assisting a franchisor with achieving the mutual surrender and termination of its poor performing master
Goodwin Turner Commercial Lawyers was established to provide specialist legal services tailored to the needs of businesses and their owners.
To us, being commercial lawyers requires more than just legal expertise. It also requires a commercial mindset, to ensure that any advice and services provided are realistic and practical for that client.
Our main practice areas are commercial and corporate law, commercial property, intellectual property and franchising. In addition, to support the personal requirements of our business owner clients, we also assist with trust-related matters and private-client type services.
Clients may notice that our approach is somewhat different to other firms they might have encountered. We judge our success by the relationships we build with our clients and we look for opportunities to add value.
We also understand that when clients trust a lawyer to provide their legal services or advice, they want to know that the lawyer can deliver the right results for them, but also what those services will cost. We don’t believe in hidden fees, and want to ensure there is as much clarity as possible at all times about what work is being done and what it will cost. For that reason, we don’t add “standard office expenses” or “administration” charges to our bills like some other firms.
The firm as a whole is committed to providing a modern, friendly, client focused, efficient approach to your legal business requirements with a focus on adding value to your business. Goodwin Turner has been winners of the Global Law Experts award every year since 2014.