Leaders in Law endorses Maria Athanassiadou as our exclusively recommended Patent Law expert in Greece. If you wish to get in touch with Maria please use the contact information provided above.
Maria Athanassiadou is an Attorney at Law and one of the founding partners of Dr. Helen G. Papaconstantinou and Partners, Law Firm (HP&P). With more than 25 years’ experience in all intellectual property fields, she focuses her practise on IP litigation, prosecution and counselling, with a particular emphasis on patents, utility models, supplementary protection certificates, industrial designs and trademarks. Ms. Athanassiadou advises major international as well as local clients especially in the pharmaceutical sector, assisting them to build and develop effective strategies that suit their business objectives and purposes. She is admitted to practise before the Supreme Court and the Council of State.
Ms. Athanassiadou is a regular contributor to Wolters Kluwer Manual IP, Katzarov’s Manual on Industrial Property and in several INTA resources as well as to various significant trademark, designs and patent publications. Recent contributions include:
- Business Brief: Greece, WIPR Annual 2020 (co-author)
- Patents in Greece, Lexology GTDT, April 2020
- Designs 2020 – A Global Guide: Greece, supplement to World Trademark Review, December 2019;
- General Court provides guidance on proof of enhanced distinctiveness, WTR Daily, November 2019
- Greece: Patent Litigation – Comparative Guide, The Legal 500 & The In-House Lawyer, November 2019 (co-author)
- General Court confirms likelihood of confusion between H’UGO’S and HUGO’S BURGER BAR- WTR Daily, July 2019
- 3rd Edition Intellectual Property Country Comparative Guide, The Legal 500 & The Legal 500 & The In-House Lawyer, June 2019 (co-author)
- Patents in Greece, Lexology GTDT, May 2019
- Business Brief: Greece, WIPR Annual 2019 (co-author)
- Patents in Europe: Helping business compete in the global economy 2019/2020, supplement to IAM, April 2019
- General Court rules on genuine use of figurative trademarks MEBLO – WTR Daily – March 2019, Designs 2019 A Global Guide.
Greek, English, Spanish, French, German
Member of International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI)
Member of the Pharmaceutical Trademarks Group (PTMG)
Member of International Trademark Association (INTA)
Athens Bar Association, as from 1996
Masters’ degree in Spanish studies, University of Barcelona, 2018
Law Degree, University of Athens, Greece, 1994
HP&P is home to 11 fully qualified Attorneys with considerable experience in intellectual property matters over many years of practice and 40 highly specialized technical counsellors-patent translators. Two of our Attorneys are European Patent Attorneys. Most of our Attorneys are active members of various national and international professional bodies and regularly contribute to several publications in the IP field, both Greek and International.
At HP&P we serve our foreign clients in English, French, German, Spanish and Italian. We closely collaborate with 40 technical counsellors, who have accredited degrees (the majority including post-graduate studies as well) in sciences, (e.g. physics, chemistry/biochemistry, biology and electrical/electronic, chemical and mechanical engineering). Most of them are or have been involved in academic research. They are competent translators for English, French and German and regularly provide consulting services of the highest quality, based on their technical expertise in patent matters.
Our client base covers a very broad spectrum including law firms and prestigious companies in the fields of pharmaceuticals, chemicals, cosmetics, constructions, telecommunications, energy, biotechnology, food, alcoholic and soft beverages, fashion, finance and banking, education, and many more. Our clients range from the trademark and patent departments of large and small international companies directly represented by HP&P, through to multi-national and small companies represented by HP&P indirectly through trademark and patent agents from all over the world. In addition to our intellectual property activities in Greece, HP&P maintains a close collaboration with outstanding Law Offices in Cyprus and the Arabic countries and has acquired experience in the handling of trademark and patent matters in these countries for many years. In addition to that, our broad network of carefully selected IP law firms, with whom we have built a strong relationship of trust and confidence over the years, permits us to manage our clients’ IP portfolios in each and every country of the world where their interests extend.