Ladislav Smejkal is Partner and Head of Criminal law practice in Dentons’ Prague office. Ladislav has almost 15 years’ experience in the legal business. He specializes in criminal law and employment law, as well as in litigation and dispute resolution.
Ladislav focuses on criminal law, with an emphasis on white collar crime. He provides legal advice to private individuals as well as corporate clients. Ladislav represents and defends clients as suspects or as those accused of criminal offenses. Also, he provides his clients as injured parties and victims with a complete service, including assistance in the quantification of the damage incurred, and he represents them in proceedings on compensation for damage caused by criminal activity. He often represents and advises corporate clients as injured parties in connection with credit fraud, insurance fraud, crimes associated with insolvency, export financing, relative financing, and misuse of IT systems. Ladislav also regularly assesses the criminal law accountability of senior employees.
Ladislav provides both complex contentious and non-contentious employment law advice to numerous leading local, regional, and international corporations. Within employment law, Ladislav focuses on employment litigation and unfair dismissal cases, data protection issues, employee dismissals, non-competition clauses, collective bargaining and relationships with trade unions, discrimination in the workplace, safety at work, damage claims and employees’ benefits.
Within his litigation and dispute resolution practice, Ladislav successfully represents his clients before Czech courts in a broad range of business matters, including commercial disputes, employment disputes, construction-related disputes, on all levels of judicial proceedings; and in administrative and tax proceedings.
In criminal law and white collar crime, Ladislav advises or represents, among others, the following clients: Česká spořitelna, Česká exportní banka, Equa banka, NN Group, Oberbank, Sanofi or STRABAG.
In his employment practice, Ladislav advises, among others, the following clients from different industries: ČSOB, Hilton Hotels, Johnson Controls, Panasonic, SAZKA, Zebra or Zentiva.
– Chambers Europe has ranked Ladislav Smejkal in Band 1 for Employment practice in the Czech Republic since 2012.
– According to Chambers Europe 2015, he offers clients a combination of employment experience and white-collar crime knowledge, as well as extensive experience in the transfer of enterprise. “He is business-oriented,” say clients, adding: “He knows what the client wants and isn’t just academic in his legal opinions. You can have a quick conversation with him on any issue.”
– Ladislav was named as one of the world’s leading Management Labor & Employment lawyers in the 2015 version of Who’s Who Legal.
– Ladislav has been named as one of the Best Lawyers in the Czech Republic in the area of Labor and Employment by Best Lawyers.
– Ladislav was named as ICFM – LEADING LAWYER 500 AWARD WINNER 2013.
– Ladislav was named as Recommended lawyer for employment law and employee benefits by PLC Which lawyer? 2012.
– Ladislav was rated among the top 6 labor and employment law experts in the Czech Republic by Expert Guides, Labor and Employment Lawyers 2011.
– Co-author of “Commentary on the law of criminal liability of legal persons” (in Czech “Zákon o trestní odpovědnosti právnických osob”), Wolters Kluwer, 2012
– Czech Bar Association since 2006
– Chairman of a Labor Code & Social Affairs Committee of American Chamber of Commerce in the Czech Republic
– European Employment Lawyers Association
– Czech Employment Lawyers Association